LEARNING AREA: Mathematics Grade4
LEARNING COMPETENCY: Divides 3-to-4- digit numbers by 1-digit numbers with remainder (M4NS-If-54.3)
- Divide 3-to-4- digit numbers by 1-digit numbers with remainder
- Solve for the quotient and the remainder of the given dividend and divisor
- Patiently follow the teacher’s step by step discussion on dividing 3-4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers with remainder
CONTENT: Dividing 3-to-4- Digit Numbers by 1-Digit Numbers With Remainder
LEARNING RESOURCES: Math 4 TG pp. 62-70, Math 4 LM pp. 49-52, SLM Week6, pp.6-7
Division flash cards, charts, tagboard, printed activity sheets
- Giving of reminders about the classroom rules.
- Have an oral drill on the basic division facts.
- Conduct a review on dividing 3-to-4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers without remainder.
1.) 936 ÷ 3 2.) 472 ÷ 2
Motivation: Show them a vegetable garden and ask the following questions:
- Do you eat vegetables?
- What are your favorite vegetables?
- Why is it important to eat vegetables?
- Why is it important to take good care of our body?
- What should you do so that you won’t get infected by the COVID-19 virus?
- Do you have a vegetable garden at home? (Introduce the concept of recycling)
- What benefits can we get from having a vegetable garden at home?
- What should you do with the plants in your garden so that the plants will grow healthy?
- EsP (Napapahalagahan ang Sarili sa Pamamagitan ng Pag-iwas sa Sakit)- EsP4PD-IVa-c-10
- EPP (Gardening)
- Science (Recycling)
- Health (Taking Good Care of One’s Body)
Health (Taking Good Care of One’s Body)
Present this problem to the class.
Mang Ben has a vegetable garden. He just bought 14 squash seedlings. He wanted to plant these on the 3 remaining rows of his garden. How many seedlings will be planted in each row? How many seedlings will be left?
ANALYSIS: Ask the following questions:
- Who has a vegetable garden?
- How many squash seedlings did Mang Ben just buy?
- How many remaining rows does his garden have?
- What is asked in the problem?
(Introduce the word remainder as the synonym of the word “left or extra”)
( Let them visualize the problem)
(Discussion on Dividing 3-4-Digit Numbers by 1-Digit Numbers with Remainder using the Long Method and 1-2-3 Method)
(Giving of examples and exercises using the Long Method and 1-2-3 Method)
ABSTRACTION: What do we call the number to be divided?
What do we call the number that divides?
What do we call the answer in division?
If you were a division term, what term would you be and why?
What is/are another word/words for remainder?
How do we divide 3-to-4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers with remainder?
A. (By Partner)
1. Solve for the quotient using the long method.
- 329 ÷ 2 2. 844 ÷ 3 3. 656 ÷ 5
B. (Differentiated Activities)
(Before giving the activity, give the rules clearly to ensure proper behavior and learning-focused environment. Also, present the norms in group activity (how the work will get done, what team members can expect of each other- leader, secretary, reporter, etc.)
Group I- If you divide 465 by 3, what is the quotient? Show your solution.
Group II- Solve for the quotient. Write your answer on the space provided.
978 ÷ 4 = _____
Group III- Solve for the quotient using the long method.
935 ÷ 3
Group IV- Solve for the quotient using the “1-2-3 method”
872 ÷ 5
(Recognize pupils’ active participation and positive behavior by giving them praises/encouraging words and claps.)
ASSESSMENT: Solve for the quotient using any method. Show your solutions. (10 points for each number)
1. 736 ÷ 5
2. 937 ÷ 3
ASSIGNMENT: If the dividend is 678 and the divisor is 4, what is the quotient? Use any method to find the quotient. Show your solutions.